openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO-Earmarked Funds
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:50:35 GMT

> On 10 Sep 15, at 01:57, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> I notice, from time-to-time that there seem to be funds that there are AOO-earmarked
funds that the ASF received..

> I do not know more about this than anyone else does. It's all in this mailing list archives.
For example see here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2012+June
> (June 2012)
> We were able to initiate transfer of SPI funds formerly earmarked for
> OpenOffice.org to the ASF. However, due to changes in the ASF Fundraising
> chair, this transfer has been postponed. Followup with ASF Fundraising is
> needed to complete this transaction. These funds, as previously discussed,
> will primarily be used for developer travel when needed.
>
> (Note: I'm sure that the transfer was later done successfully and that the ASF Treasurer
now manages these funds under a separate chapter)

Yes. It occurs to me that as Dennis’ query is utterly rational it would further make sense
to have a note to undo the mystification of all other PMC members.

>> Is it the case that those funds are dedicated to events, such as attendance allowances
and collateral materials?

> They were collected for a range of possible targets, but the only one feasible at Apache
was events. Again, the discussion happened before mid-2012, I wasn't Chair and I didn't have
any role in the discussion or in the project at the time.

>> One case that comes to mind would be funding Infra
>
> I don't remember if this was one of the possible uses, but again I didn't have a major
role in the discussion about this in 2012.

I read over many of the relevant emails and actually infra was mentioned. Discussions on use
of the funds are probably most interesting very early in the history of AOO.

louis