openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: For Information: Reported Windows 10 problems
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 13:50:03 GMT
On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:38:58 -0400
Rob Weir <rob@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:04 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 19:44:01 -0400
> > Rob Weir <rob@robweir.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Did some of my own testing, starting with a clean image of Windows 7
> >> Professional x64.  Installed AOO 4.1.1 and created and saved files
> >> with Writer, Calc and Impress.  Did the upgrade to Windows 10.
> >> Confirmed that I could read and write the previously saved files.
> >> Tried both opening the files from within the apps as well as
> >> double-clicking the documents from the File Explorer.   I experienced
> >> no file permission issues.
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >
> > Thanks, Rob.  So we may reasonably conclude that most of the reported problems about
read-only files are due to faulty user interaction with Win10.  It is most helpful to have
confirmation of that point.

> We can only really say that there does not seem to be a problem with
> the most straightforward upgrade scenario.   There may be an issue,
> with Windows or with AOO, in some more complicated scenarios.   Or
> not.  It might be worth asking a few questions to see if there is a
> pattern:
>
> 1) What version of Windows did you upgrade from?
>
> 2) 32 bit or 64 bit?
>
> 3) The Windows 10 upgrade gives three options:  a) Fresh install, b)
> Preserve Data and Programs and c) Preserve data only.   Which did you
> do?
>
> 4) Where were the documents stored that AOO sees as read-only?  Local
> HD?   USB stick?  Cloud storage?
>
> 5) Do you see this problem with other applications and their
> documents, or only with AOO?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

I've filed this reply, Rob, and will ask these questions when the problem arises.

Rory

> > Rory

root causes, and some of the forum cases are not resolved one way or the other yet.

applications.  I just opened all AOO applications from the menu window.

it is not something I can isolate any evidence for.

specific case, being able to provide screen shots or other useful information on exactly what
is happening, what the messages are, etc.  We also need to keep other reports separate unless
the detailed actual situations are confirmed to be the same.

case of post-upgrade difficulties that we can nail down.

Read-only attribute box will tend to have a black square in it.  This does not mean that all
of the files are read only.  This may be misleading some folks into thinking that is their
problem.  Only if there is a check-mark in the box are the files in the folder all set to
read-only.  (The black box apparently means there might be some read-only files in the folder
below, and those are usually system files, not everything.)

safeguards.  I don't know if this is related or not.

a later version of LibreOffice to see if there are problems there.  Based on my experience
so far, I do not expect any.

old version for access to archived files in old formats, so what I write below is based on
a quick analysis from memory of recent Forum postings.

being laid at the door of OpenOffice although they may be generic W10 upgrade difficulties
and/or user problems with that upgrade.

files (and, from other reports, other application files) in read-only form;  this read-only
may possibly be removable but there is no clear 100% effective path to do this (from the reports
below)

being the most commonly affected.