openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: For Information: Reported Windows 10 problems
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 06:04:47 GMT
On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 19:44:01 -0400
Rob Weir <rob@robweir.com> wrote:

> Did some of my own testing, starting with a clean image of Windows 7
> Professional x64.  Installed AOO 4.1.1 and created and saved files
> with Writer, Calc and Impress.  Did the upgrade to Windows 10.
> Confirmed that I could read and write the previously saved files.
> Tried both opening the files from within the apps as well as
> double-clicking the documents from the File Explorer.   I experienced
> no file permission issues.
>
> -Rob

Thanks, Rob.  So we may reasonably conclude that most of the reported problems about read-only
files are due to faulty user interaction with Win10.  It is most helpful to have confirmation
of that point.

Rory

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> > These accounts don't provide enough information to nail anything down to root causes,
and some of the forum cases are not resolved one way or the other yet.

> > My main desktop machine upgraded (with my permission) to Windows 10 Pro x64 on the
evening of July 29.

> > I already had AOO 4.1.1 and LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 installed.
> >
> > I just did some random opening of existing .odt and .ods files in both applications.
 I just opened all AOO applications from the menu window.

> > I am unable to find any of these problems.
> >
> > I don't dispute that others are having some sort of trouble.  I am saying it is
not something I can isolate any evidence for.

> > We need to have someone who can work with us to resolve a Bugzilla on a specific
case, being able to provide screen shots or other useful information on exactly what is happening,
what the messages are, etc.  We also need to keep other reports separate unless the detailed
actual situations are confirmed to be the same.

> > I am happy to work with anyone who is able to do that and has a demonstrated case
of post-upgrade difficulties that we can nail down.

> >  - Dennis
> >
> > PS: When getting the Windows File Explorer properties for a folder, the Read-only
attribute box will tend to have a black square in it.  This does not mean that all of the
files are read only.  This may be misleading some folks into thinking that is their problem.
 Only if there is a check-mark in the box are the files in the folder all set to read-only.
 (The black box apparently means there might be some read-only files in the folder below,
and those are usually system files, not everything.)

> > PPS: I have seen reports that Windows 10 Home (not Pro) has increased security safeguards.
 I don't know if this is related or not.

> > PPPS: I have not attempted any fresh installs of anything.  I will install a later
version of LibreOffice to see if there are problems there.  Based on my experience so far,
I do not expect any.

for access to archived files in old formats, so what I write below is based on a quick analysis
from memory of recent Forum postings.

> >> There are a number of reported Windows 10 problems, some of which are being
laid at the door of OpenOffice although they may be generic W10 upgrade difficulties and/or
user problems with that upgrade.

> >> I list below some of the recent threads.
> >>
> >> The most common problem is that the W10 upgrade leaves all OpenOffice files
(and, from other reports, other application files) in read-only form;  this read-only may
possibly be removable but there is no clear 100% effective path to do this (from the reports
below)