openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: STATE OF AOO: Overall Bugzilla Activity through July 2015
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 19:11:21 GMT
Marcus, the queries I did for identification of open issues found only issues with no resolution
of any kind.  That automatically excluded issues with any of DUPLICATE, ..., WON'T FIX, and
CLOSED status.

Older open issues, some from long before Apache OpenOffice was established, continue to receive
discussion and comments and, even in 2015, sometimes become resolved, including with fixes.
 I think it is good to hold onto the history simply to be able to reflect that.

I agree that immediate concerns are best explored by looking more deeply into the 2015 issues
and discussions to gain better perspective.

I suspect the older open issues to look more closely at first are ones that are still being
discussed, including being duplicated by new issue reports.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de]
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2015 05:18
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: STATE OF AOO: Overall Bugzilla Activity through July 2015

Thanks for generating the numbers. Even when it is no surprise that we
have many unsolved issues, it's always good to know the current values.

In general I agree with Juergen and Roberto, we should focus on the
newer times of AOO.

Suggestion:

To get rid of old issues we need to close all issues that are already in
a state short before closure [*]:

Duplicate, Irreproducible, Obsolete, Not_an_issue, Verified, Wont_fix

As second step we can close all issues that are in status "Resolved" and
last updated months/years ago.

Then we have a much lower base of open issues and can filter better
about age, importantance and severity. Finally it's then easier to
decide what to do with the remaining open issues.

[*] This makes it necessary to stop all BZ notification mails. Otherwise
we get flooded by billions of mails and get hit by the Infra team all
summer long. ;-)

Marcus

[ ... ]