openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: REPORTING Windows 10 Upgrade Issues: BASIC SITUATION
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2015 18:11:19 GMT
Thanks max, you are correct about the missing "not."  Thanks.  I'll correct that.

We don't know if it is a global change of permissions, or some change related to account privileges,
so far.  The SCOPE OF PROBLEM section is intended to identify that case.  Does that help?

This is apparently a rare problem, not something done in all upgrades.  We want to understand
it.  If it is not specific to OpenOffice, it is still important to support OpenOffice users
in finding a resolution.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Max Merbald [mailto:max.merbald@gmx.de]
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2015 10:46
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: REPORTING Windows 10 Upgrade Issues: BASIC SITUATION

Hello Dennis,

I think in the first line of your text you mean, "reports of some users
NOT being able to edit in Openoffice after upgrading to Win 10". This is
what I read from the mails in this list.

I must say I haven't had any problems at all after I upgraded to Win 10;
everything is in correct working order.

As to the read-only files, maybe people who experience this should check
in their file explorer if the files in the folder they are using for
OpenOffice are set to "read only". Seems like the likeliest thing to me.

Max

Am 08.08.2015 um 19:28 schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> We are reading reports of some users being able to edit in OpenOffice after upgrading
to Windows 10.  We have not been able to reproduce the situation from that information alone.
 Many of us have upgraded to Windows 10 without difficulty.

> If you or someone you know is having this problem show up in OpenOffice, please help
us by working with the Windows 10 computer that is involved.  Reply only to dev@openoffice.apache.org
and not to individuals.  If you reply to me, I will assume that I have permission to post
your reply to this list and personally forward it to the list.

> BASIC SITUATION INFORMATION
> This is a little lengthy.  It is to obtain just the basics.  Depending on the basic information,
there will be follow-ups to obtain further details.

> 1. SCOPE OF PROBLEM
>     Have you noticed this problem on files other than those you use with OpenOffice?
>
>     If you don't know or if you only use OpenOffice to work on documents, no problem.
 If you can easily determine that this problem goes beyond OpenOffice, it is important to
know that.

>     If you notice the problem with other files and applications let us know. That is
very important.  Because you are having the difficulty with OpenOffice either way, please
go through the remainder of this procedure anyhow.

> 1. SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
> In Windows 10, right click on the Windows button (leftmost symbol on the task bar), and
then select "System".  Please report the following information from the display that appears.

>    Windows edition
>      The name of the edition (complete first line below "Windows edition"):
>
>    System
>      Processor:
>      Installed memory (RAM):
>      System type:
>      Pen and Touch:
>
> 2. OPEN OFFICE CONFIGURATION
>     Now left click on the Windows button
>     On the left sidebar of the Start display that shows all programs, scroll down to
the letter O where you see a folder named OpenOffice.  If you don't see a list of all programs,
click the "All apps" item at the bottom of the sidebar to show the list.  If you do not see
a left sidebar at all, click the menu button (a stack of three horizontal lines) in the upper-left
corner of the start page.

>     What is the full name of that OpenOffice folder (including any version number)?:
>

>     Click on the OpenOffice entry in the all-programs entry.
>     In the list that opens up, click on the first entry, for OpenOffice itself.  Do not
click on any of the individual components.
>     OpenOffice should open and present its "dashboard" view.
>     This provides a white frame including buttons for the six types of documents processed
by OpenOffice.

>     At the top of the opened "OpenOffice" window, there is a menu row.  Click on the
Help item.  In the little pop-down list that opens, click "About OpenOffice"  What is the
version information in the "About ... OpenOffice" display that opens up?

>     Name and version of the software (e.g., "Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1":
>
>     Rev. number (in line below name and version number) if any (e.g., 1617669):
>
> Click OK on the "About ...OpenOffice" display.
>
> On the dashboard, there is a diagram of a file folder with an arrow emerging from it.
 Click on the down pointer to the right of that image.  (Not the folder, the down pointer).

> Do you see a list of the last few documents you worked on?
>
> How many items are in the list (default maximum is 10):
>
> IF THERE ARE NONE, STOP HERE.  Let us know the information requested above and there
will be a follow-up question.

> IF THERE ARE ITEMS IN THE LIST, CONTINUE.
>
> The items in the list are numbered.  This information will be important later.  Write
down the numbers and the full names of the files at each number.  You may have to put your
mouse over any name that has been abbreviated to see the full name. The full names are important
for forensic work.

> PLEASE REVIEW ALL OF THE QUESTIONS BELOW SO YOU CAN WORK THROUGH THE LIST ONLY ONCE:
>
> How many will open by clicking on their filenames in that list (do this in reverse order)?:
>
> (This is about opening in any mode, editable or not.  To go through them one at a time,
you will have to close the opened one without attempting any changes, then re-open OpenOffice
to try the next one.)

> This procedure cannot open a file that has been moved from where it was last used in
OpenOffice.  OpenOffice will report this.  How many of those are there?

> How many of those open with no problem and no indication they cannot be edited?:
>
> How many of those that open are identified as being read-only or not editable?:
>
> How do you determine that they are not editable?
>
> That is, what is the indication in the opened-document window.  Is it the same for all
of the documents that open read-only?

> Include the list of documents that open but that are not editable.  The follow-up will
ask you to narrow in on those files to see what about them is a problem.

> THAT'S MANY QUESTIONS
>
> When we see your response, we will have other questions about the locations of those
documents, or of other OpenOffice documents that you tried to open that are not on that list
of recent documents.

> Thank you for reporting your difficulty.  Your answers will be instrumental in helping
us to narrow down the case to where we can identify its origin and provide a work-around.