openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft Blog Post: Authoring e-Books in Apache OpenOffice: An Interview with Jon Holdsworth
Date Mon, 11 May 2015 15:52:18 GMT
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:36 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> On 11 May 2015 at 14:57, Rob Weir <rob@robweir.com> wrote:
>

> https://blogs.apache.org/roller-ui/authoring/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=authoring_e_books_in_apache
> >
> > That requires an editor account for the blog to read.  I though there
> > was an easy way to rewrite the URL so the preview was public, but that
> > does not seem to be working for me.
> >
> no the preview function is only for the "selected" few.
>

> > In any case, this is an interview with an author who used AOO for a
> > book he recently wrote and has some nice technical hints on how to
> > accomplish this with OpenOffice.   This should be of interest to many
> > of our users/
> >
> +1 go for publish.
>
> rgds
> jan I.
>

> > -Rob

Looks good.  I assume it was an email interview?

I know what he means by the <span> issue, though I haven't explicitly
looked for it in OpenOffice.  But in MS Word and Sharepoint wiki editor,
every time you change font, character size, color, etc., it effectively
creates a <span>.  Deleting the characters in that set doesn't necessarily
eliminate the <span>, and the empty <span>s can accumulate.  And of course
each <span> needs its own full complement of style attributes.

Also, it's sort of instinctive to change a font or size or color "back" to
what it was before a particular section by setting it explicitly.  Each
instance of setting will create a new block that your text goes in.  So
you'd have a <span> that contains your normal text, then you'd have a
inside that one that contains your back-to-black text.

All these <span>s lying around are like sinkholes that things can fall into
if you're not careful.

Perhaps a couple things that can help with that...

- An option to either explicitly or automatically eliminate empty <span>s.

- A hotkey to turn off the last style attribute applied.

Though again I haven't looked...Does OO already have these?

Don