openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Some old OOo SVN dumps, of use to anyone?
Date Sun, 01 Mar 2015 16:12:03 GMT

From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2015 14:11
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: RE: Some old OOo SVN dumps, of use to anyone?

 -- replying inline to --
From: Rob Weir [mailto:rob@robweir.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2015 12:38
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Marcus <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
>

>> IMHO this is an invaluable source of our history that we shouldn't loose.
>

> I agree with this -- it's history for every derivative of OO.o, not just
> AOO.
>

>> Please save it at a location where it cannot be deleted by accident. So,
>> the best would be indeed somewhere on a server/disk that is
>> controlled/accessible at apache.org.
>

> One issue may be licensing, as the work stored on Rob's disk was not the
> one approved by Oracle to be relicensed for use by Apache.  Even if that
> can be resolved, the image probably also includes portions that were not
> included in the code identified for relicensing approval. I'm no expert on
> Apache policies but it seems possible either of those conditions could make
> the file inappropriate for storage by Apache directly.

It is not exactly the syllabic nucleus of the Vulcan language, but it
could be useful.   If someone can offer a better long-term place for
this, please chime in.   An SVN dump file is a text file, so I could
gzip it down to something a bit smaller, maybe 50 GB.   It could be
even more useful, of course, if hosted as an actual (read-only)
repository, to consult the history of the code base.

I'll hold on to it for now, but note that this is not currently in any
controlled data center.  It is just sitting at home on a shelf,
susceptible to the whims of fire, water, wind, the fates and cats.  It
would be good to get it under suitable curation.

<orcmid>
  Three prospects (worst to best?)

  1. I just saw mention of an Apache branch on a file-sharing service,
     not a code repository, but 50GB might be a reach.

  2. I have a web hosting service that promises unlimited storage and
     no bandwidth usage limit (though I think instantaneous bandwidth
     is limited).  They also support CVS, SVN, and GIT, but I think I
     would have to install the SVN myself.  I could easily create an FTP
     account just for transfer and preservation of that specific
     content though.  Not certain about curation.  Just another mirror
     for preservation purposes.

  3. I think SourceForge might be able to swallow this and set it up
     as a read-only SVN.  Although the Apache Extras there are set up
     mainly as a download service, there is no reason that it could
     not have a repo too.  This would be perfect so long as it is
     workable for them.
</orcmid>

Regards,

-Rob