openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] #1 New PMC Chair (was RE: Short-term priorities for OpenOffice)
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2015 23:44:41 GMT
Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Here are some discussion points.

It's good background reading. I recommend that people do read it. But
I'd like to move here without too much useless discussion.

>  1. TIMING
>      The next meeting of the board is at 2014-02-18T18:30Z.  A motion
>      to the board would be posted at least two days before that.  An
>      appropriate time for balloting would be from 2014-02-09T20:00Z
>      to around 2014-02-15T00:00Z (midnight), for example.  If that's
>      too soon, then in time for March.

Too soon? No, I definitely prefer that we close it before that time. As
soon as I see consensus on proceeding without constantly overlapping
discussions on unrelated things, I'll propose that we move forward with
#1. And the sooner we get it done the better. Discussions started on 1
January, we wrote enough.

>   2. OFFICIAL DUTIES OF THE CHAIR
>      The Chair will be made a Member of the ASF if not one already.

This is frequent, but not 100% correct. A Chair doesn't need to be a
member, and won't necessarily become a Member.

>      (I note in the bylaws of the ASF that the terms of the Chair
>      and of the PMC members are stated to be one year.  I don't
>      believe that's quite how it is being done.)

It's there, but it's surely different in practice. Current Board
resolutions appoint a Chair "until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed".

>   3. OTHER EXPECTATIONS
>      It might be unwise to inject responsibilities for the Chair
>      that are not the responsibilities of any and every PMC member

Indeed. We elect a Chair as the officer who connects OpenOffice and
Apache. But project governance in the hands of the PMC, not of the
Chair, so setting directions belongs on item #2.

Regards,
   Andrea.