openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: html code generated from Open Office
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 13:22:39 GMT
Hi Howard,

Howard Morris (aka Col Boogie) schrieb:
> The reason I joined Open Office was to enhance the html code generated
> from writer.

Writer/Web is currently not maintained.

> For now, I have constructed html code to upload an html file generated
> by Open Office

OpenOffice generates bad HTML using Writer/Web.

  and PHP code to tweak that code and download a better
> version. Everything I have doe so far is in the attached zzz.zip file.
> Explanations are in Readme.txt

I would not go that way.

> I would have liked to have done this directly, but when I asked how to
> get there, I was directed to a site where I could download all the
> modules one by one, and there seemed to be hundreds of them and no
> indication what any of them contained with dubious directions how to put
> them together. This is not how I like to do things, so I went the other
> way for now.

If you will improve the Writer/Web module, you need indeed work directly
on the code. But if you do not like C++ coding and the effort of
building your own OpenOffice, there are alternatives.

OpenOffice has the ability to execute XSLT. Please open a text document
and then try File > Export > type XHTML. You get a nice XHTML document.
The shortcoming is, that it currently only supports simple structures,
and that it is only for export, and import is missing.

Goto Tools > XML Filter Settings. That is the manager for XSLT filters.

Find the XHTML XSLT files themselves in folder
program/share/xslt/export/xhtml.

Improving this XHTML filter might fit better to your interests.

> I seem to have run across documentation that Open Office puts its files
> internally into a XML format. If I could extract the XML directly from
> the .odt file I could do everything from there. Assuming that is true,
> is there an updated copy of
> https://www.openoffice.org/xml/xml_specification.pdf ?

There will never be an "update" and it is not relevant for your purpose.
It is the format, which belongs to the sxw (sxc, sxm, ...) files. That
is the format OpenOffice1.1 had used, before ODF exists.

OpenOffice uses ODF1.2 now, you have got some details already. Here the
link to the specs https://www.oasis-open.org/standards#opendocumentv1.2

  I would hope that
> whoever is doing the documentation keeps that up to date. It will take
> me at least 20 hours to read that document, but at least I will retain
> most of it the first time.

Other thoughts: What about using "flat ODF1.2" (no container, but all in
one file) directly and provide and add style sheets for the browsers? Or
look, what the project http://webodf.org does, or other similar projects.

Kind regards
Regina