openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Hriň <h...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nominations for a new PMC Chair
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 14:37:00 GMT
Dňa 01.01.2015 o 23:16 jan i napísal(a):
> On 1 January 2015 at 22:57, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> As I wrote yesterday, it's time to start looking for a new PMC Chair that
>> can replace me (only for these specific duties; I'll of course continue
>> with all my other activities, that are the vast majority) when applicable.
>> We are not in a hurry as I will take care of the January Board report, but
>> it's good to start moving.
>>
>> Let's take several days, until 10 January, to receive nominations (or
>> self-nominations) for the next PMC Chair. Just reply to this e-mail with
>> nominations.
>>
>> My duties as a Chair cover only a minimal part of my activity in
>> OpenOffice, so it's good that I point out what is expected of a Chair:
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
>>
>> 1) The Chair is the interface between the Project Management Committee and
>> the Apache Board. The Chair takes responsibilities for the quarterly report
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Board+Reports
>>
>> 2) The chair is a facilitator and their role within the PMC is to ensure
>> that everyone has a chance to be heard and to enable meetings to flow
>> smoothly. There is no concept of "leader" in the Apache way.
>>
>> 3) After the project has elected new committers or PMC members, the Chair
>> is responsible for the needed updates to the Apache LDAP groups.
>>

> You describe very correctly the duties of a chair, seen from our bylaws.
> But apart from that, there seems be an unwritten rule.... the chair is
> normally also quite active..
>
> In the bigger part of ASF projects, the PMC is active together with the
> chair, in that case chair function is purely administrative.
>
> You can find some project where the chair is active, but the rest of the
> PMC is only limited active, in that case the chair should be active in
> reactivating the PMC.
>
> I have yet to find a project where the chair is inactive while the PMC is
> active.
>
> Bear in mind I dont speak of the chair as a role (which you have already
> correctly described), but the person behind the role. That person, should
> always have a finger on the pulse of  the community, be prepared to help
> solve conflicts....of course if the PMC group is active, this is not a
> problem.....and most importantly that person should having the backing of
> the PMC group.
>

> rgds
> jan I.

OK, we know what are duties of PMC Chair.
Both of you didn't get out a names of candidates. Probably, I know your
view, but please, put it here.

So here I chose some people, to make this election easier.

Rob Weir
Marcus Lange
Key Schenk

This are I thing object reasons, looking on activity on mailing lists
(dev && l10n && commits) for last year and for a time after last release.

This is not my finite vote. I will wait for others nominations.

And don't to forget, named people, express your opinion here, if you
want, are willing and able to do this.

Regards,
Michal Hriň