openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [CODE] keyboard shortcut definitions
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2015 02:26:22 GMT
I think Louis has found all of the keyboard actions and then some.

 -- replying below to --
From: Louis Suárez-Potts [mailto:luispo@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 16:34
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: [CODE] keyboard shortcut definitions

Kay,

> On 22 Jan 2015, at 17:58, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know where I can find information on where actual keyboard
> shortcut definitions -- the actual escape sequences -- are defined for
> use in OpenOffice. I found an old thread on where the menus are defined
> -- the *.xcu files -- but the not the actual ascii sequence assignments.

<orcmid>
   Well, they are not actually ASCII sequences except when the UI is
   working in some sort of terminal mode and programs are seeing some-
   think like what ncurses provides.

   I am not certain where you are looking for where key codes are
   Recognized or used in Apache OpenOffice.  It would help to know.

   MORE INFORMATION (but maybe not helpful?)

   For the garden-variety "ASCII keyboard" of the sort that eventually
   became the standard on PCs and many comparable devices, the keyboard
   works a bit differently, with key codes and state codes delivered to
   the software and indications of when a key is going down and when it
   has release back up.  Operating systems intervene, so how keyboard
   actions are delivered is very much up to the software drivers that
   translate what is happening at the keyboard to something the OS
   wants applications to see.  The resulting binary codes might
   correspond to ASCII characters, but many keys and combinations do not.

   Whatever those patterns are by the time keyboard actions are delivered
   to an application, they are a bit more complex and have already been
   transformed.

   Looking at the second link provided by Louis, the Accelerators.xcu
   shows an interesting technique for naming the keys (explained in the
   table just ahead of the Accelerators.xcu listing).  This copes with
   the modifiers (Shift, Ctrl/Cmd, and Alt) along with the namings
   Of ordinary keyboard keys given in the appendix, at least for most
   of a standard PC keyboard (although I see missing keys in the
   Appendix).

   I suspect there are integer codes for all of the defined Key
   Identifier strings.  Not sure where defined though.  Here's how
   it works on Windows, but AOO probably has some mapping that
   works across platforms:
   https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx
   and this is without adding modifiers to the virtual-key codes.
</orcmid>

> --
> MzK
>
> "There's a bit of magic in everything,
>  and some loss to even things out."
>                    -- Lou Reed

Probably these data are out of date. If so, I'm sure that someone more up to date and with
more current brain cells will supply the correct information. At any rate….

* https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Config/Configuration_Management
* https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Framework/Article/Accelerators_Configuration
and my fave, https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Framework/Article/OpenOffice.org_3.x_Commands

These are to a degree (I hope) somewhat superseded with the 4.x code.
What I did—and I'm sure you did this better—is just enter a natural language search in
the AOO wikis. I also briefly looked through my old files from earlier CVS and SVN checkouts.

louis