openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 18:27:52 GMT

On 12/02/2014 05:34 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Rob Weir <rob@robweir.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Is there a way we could handle it even earlier, at the Apache server
>>> level?   Detect the incoming link based on the referrer as ones coming
>>> from the offending website and then redirect that to a custom webpage
>>> where we explain to the user that we are not QuickOffice Pro?   If we
>>> do that then we would get no (or far fewer) emails, right?
>>>

>> I doubt there will be a common referrer as the links on
>>
>> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512?mt=8
>>
>> just point to openoffice.org and the users getting through seem to be smart
>> enough to find a contact address.  But if there was a way to do that it
>> would be even better, yes.
>>

> I understand.  It should be possible to detect and redirect all
> incoming website requests that originate from
> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512
>
> This could be done preferably at the Apache HTTP Server level, or
> (less reliably) on our home page with a Javascript redirect:
>
> <script>
>     if ( window.document.referrer.indexOf(
> "/itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512" ) != -1 ) {
>        location.href = "http://www.openoffice.org/new-special-page.html";
>     }
>
> </script>
>

> Regards,
>
> -Rob

I'm strongly supportive of something like this in the interim. Google
"owns" the name and it's clear Lee Elman has (at least) violated some
kind of trademark rules/uses. We should report this to both Google and
Apple (iTunes) at this point.

The fact that Lee Elman has decided www.openoffice.org is the "Lee Elman
Web Site" is directly of concern to us.

If Rob feels so inclined, I'm good with Lazy Consensus for the script
addition and whatever "new-special-page.html" might contain.