openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Deflecting the Attack of the Clones
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 23:00:46 GMT

[Not cross-posting to private@.]

 -- replying to --
From: Kay Schenk [mailto:kay.schenk@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:20
To: OOo Apache
Cc: dennis.hamilton@acm.org; privateAOO
Subject: Re: Deflecting the Attack of the Clones

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 10:17 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, December 21, 2014, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>

[ ... ]
> > We are in good relationship with the author. The current branding and
> > wording of "AndrOpen Office" were approved by the OpenOffice PMC. If any
> > changes are needed, feel free to suggest them. It is an unofficial port,
> > but it is also as close as possible to OpenOffice.
> >

> > <orcnote>
> >     My correspondent notices that there are appropriate disclaimers
> >     on the AndrOpen Office "AOO" web page.
> >
> >     In a follow-up sent to me, I am told that the installed software
> >     identifies itself as Apache OpenOffice and all of the branding of
> >     Apache OpenOffice is present.
> >
> >     I think it is important that a fork *not* do that, and that such
> >     identifications, including any links to support addresses and
> >     for pinging updates be corrected.  (I don't have an answer for
> >     the on-line help or identification of AndrOpen-specific topics
> >     on the OpenOffice Forums.)
> > </orcnote>

Currently we have AndrOffice listed as a "port" --
http://www.openoffice.org/porting/

What this means to me is the 3rd party MUST identify itself as Apache
OpenOffice. This is different than a fork.

So, they SHOULD NOT re-brand. This goes against our trademark policy.

See our distribution page --

http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

But...they should identify that their product is Apache OpenOffice.

[ ... ]

<orcmid>
   This page,
   <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andropenoffice>
   specifically identifies the product as a *fork* of *Apache OpenOffice*
   and it disavows any association with Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice
   projects.  It claims to be the world's first *port* of *OpenOffice*.

   The same confusion arises here:
   <https://sites.google.com/site/andropenoffice/home>.  There is a
   separate source code for a few parts, not under ALv2 (MPL or LGPL),
   apparently for some externals.  There is a link for a blog.

   Although Google Play lists andreopenoffice.com in all of its material,
   <http://andropenoffice.com> doesn't serve up anything at the moment.

   Here is a typical example of confusion about this product,
   <https://www.marshut.net/pyzxp/aoo-for-android-not-worth-the-download.html>.
   Notice "Apache's Open Office for Android."  And folks speak of AOO for
   Android as if it is the AOO known to us.

   I think the distinction between a port and a fork is lost here and too fine
   hair-splitting to be useful.  If the Apache OpenOffice project is willing
   to handle support requests for such a product, so be it.  Enjoy the
   reputation.
</orcmid>