openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: re open office
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2014 15:51:27 GMT
Before anyone accepts "almost everyone" at face value, it is useful to look at the download
numbers and the distribution of platforms for which Apache OpenOffice is available and downloaded,
and also what the latest release is.  This information is available at the http://www.openoffice.org
site and on the project blog at <https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/>.

It is indeed the case that LibreOffice is packaged and delivered as part of several Linux
distributions.  Those choices, and the degree to which there is synchronization with latest
releases (of either LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice) are determined by the providers of those
distributions.  However, Linux downloads of Apache OpenOffice are also directly available.
It takes a little more work to bring a Linux system up-to-date by obtaining the download directly.
 The links provided by Andrea are useful for that.

If someone has difficulty with the install procedure for a given Linux distribution, discussing
that on an Apache OpenOffice mailing list is valuable in helping project members determine
where information and instructions can be improved as well as obtaining direct assistance
from knowledgeable users.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:pescetti@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, December 1, 2014 03:50
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: re open office

On 01/12/2014 Sherry Winter wrote:
> I am concerned, I have used this software for years on windows. now I
> guess  i cannot use on Linux. Is the software still being updated? really?

OpenOffice works perfectly on Linux. You received two public answers to
your e-mail, both explaining how to install the most recent version of
OpenOffice on your system. Maybe you missed them since you are not
subscribed to the list.

See http://markmail.org/message/zmz5yf5zhl6yenll for the two answers you