openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Admin rights to Pootle
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 23:26:05 GMT

On 13/11/2014 22:05, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Michal Hriƈ wrote:
>> Is it possible to gain admin (or higher) rights for account creation for
>> Pootle to speed up process ?
>
> What I was about to answer was... "Sure! I think there are only two
> levels (user and admin), and I will be very happy if you join as an
> admin. Let's keep your request pending for the next 3 days for lazy
> consensus as usual, then just send a reminder and your account name
> (and make sure it is linked to your committer account, not a local
> Pootle account) and we'll give you rights."
>
> ...but I now see the remarks by Jan. They are absolutely valid,
> nothing to discuss here, and thanks Jan for reminding that Pootle is
> shared infrastructure so OpenOffice can't simply decide to create
> admins at the moment.
>
> Well, let's still wait 3 days to see if anybody has objections to you
> becoming a Pootle admin, seeing the issue purely from the OpenOffice
> side. This way we can be sure that, if it was only for OpenOffice, we
> would be OK with having you as a Pootle admin (replacing me if needed,
> why not).
seeing it purely from AOO, I would expect an admin to be PMC, otherwise
it will be difficult for that person to follow PMC policy discussions.

> Next week at ApacheCon we'll meet a lot of people from Infra and we'll
> try to find a good policy. If you can provide a better service to the
> community and nobody objects (in principle) to having you as a Pootle
> admin, my opinion is that we should definitely use your availability.
I dont disagree, it just might force us (infra) to change what a admin
can do. RIght now admin role is similar to "root".

If the project decides to go down that way, then implementing it is a
infra problem....and NOT a reason not to go down that road.

Lets talk next week.
rgds
jan i