openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO mailing list subscription totals, and other tidbits
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:19:23 GMT
jan i wrote:
> On 12 November 2014 15:38, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
>> It's sometimes very interesting and there are some more numbers

Mailing list numbers are very good. The announce list, if I recall
correctly, used to have ~8000 subscribers, so this would be a 40-50%
increment. Also, mailing list numbers show that when we write here we
write to a much larger audience than the regular posters.

Website numbers are different. Good traffic, but all of it is quite
focused (3 pages, 2 minutes, few recurring visitors in percentage). This
can probably be explained by the fact that website visitors are mostly
people who download or update OpenOffice and are not planning to get
involved (on the other side, active volunteers will often use other
resources). Still, it's a potential that we can exploit.

More numbers are coming next week as promised... But in general they
reinforce the idea that Apache OpenOffice is now a mature project with
good internal dynamics (even though I still see many fields where we
need help and mentoring) and that this is a good moment to change pace
and perspective, and use our full potential. More in one week at ApacheCon.

> apacheCON is in less than a week away, tuesday will have a official AOO
> meeting for everybody (except timewasters according to some)

Occasions for a meeting are rare. It's important that we use this time
at best. And that we come out with some great ideas and with motivated
people willing to implement them with respect and backing from the
community (and the PMC if you wish, but I find it sterile to distinguish
between the two: OpenOffice is not the playground of the PMC, it is a
community project for everybody to enjoy).

> I personally look forward to that meeting.

Me too! I'm looking forward to an exciting, productive discussion and,
if we need time, to a long night...

Regards,
   Andrea.