openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [Website] System requirements
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:30:15 GMT
Am 11/05/2014 07:06 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Andrea Pescetti<pescetti@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> On 05/11/2014 FR web forum wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo41.html
>>> Should we update this page?
>>> XP is end-of-life since april
>>> "256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)" seems to be outdated also
>>>

>> These are supposed to be the minimal system requirements. Sure, most
>> people will run OpenOffice on a newer Windows version and with much more
>> RAM than that (and the same for Linux: most users will run it on a much
>> newer kernel).
>>
>> But if OpenOffice runs on Windows XP and with 256 MBytes of RAM then this
>> should be the information listed there. no matter what the Microsoft policy
>> is.
>>
>> I wonder though whether we should update the "recommended" RAM
>> requirements. Have there been any reasons/assumptions in recent version
>> that would justify a higher "recommended" value, like 1 GByte or more?
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.
>

> XP has reached end of life, but does this mean we should update this? If we
> remove it and people are still using XP, then we'll get questions about it.
> We might want to make a note about the "official" end of life on this OS,
> however.

right, removing would produce more confusion because AOO 4.x stil lruns
on XP even when we don't do any active fixing for it. What about to add
a few words with a link to this webpage:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/endofsupport.aspx

> A value of at least 512M for RAM might be in order. Does this 256M imply
> *free* memory as opposed to total?
>
> In summary, maybe leave the Win XP, but clarify the RAM.

I think when we write the following it should be clear and current enough:

Free memory of 256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)

Marcus