openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From RA Stehmann <anw...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>
Subject Re: Concerns about the AOO community
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:31:06 GMT
Two thoughts:

1. Concerned people found it problematically that OOo depended so much
on SUN and later Oracle.

So the situation under the "roof" of the Apache Software Foundation is a
real progress. So we shouldn't complain that IBM doesn't try to dominate
our project by creating new dependencies, but encourage people to join
our project as developers and more companies to support us.

2. For a "Productivity Suite" the release cycle is proper. Neither
bigger companies nor smaller enterprises want to roll out a new version
of an office suite each quarter. So even a bigger time lag between
versions would fit.

And the brand is so well known that we don't need press releases every
month. We should continueing (and maybe force) our marketing activities;
saying our users we make a non harum-scarum but firm progress.

So concerns are needed but no lamenting. We should find out, what our
opportunities are, and jump at them in time.

Regards
Michael