openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: The City of Udine is moving from Windows for OpenOffice
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:14:51 GMT
I share the concern expressed by Roberto and Andreas.

Starting with the effort to establish ODF for use in civil administration in Massachusetts,
it was clear that no US civil authority, at any level up the governmental hierarchy, was prepared
to invest what was necessary to achieve *actual* substitutability among standards-compliant
implementations and to identify and have addressed (via procurement policies and technical
means) their requirements for genuine cross-product/-platform interoperability.  This does
not seem to be something that governments can take on as a public good in the present reality.

It is perhaps also no surprise that "interoperability" assessment among ODF implementations
appears to be more of the "works for me!" variety.

I could make a living if there were a bounty for every bug I find practically anywhere I attempt
to interchange documents cross-product.  The fact that there are now deviations between Apache
OpenOffice and LibreOffice is particularly discouraging as is the fact that the pair-wise
deviations are even greater with respect to interoperability with the Microsoft Office counterparts,
whether via ODF or via OOXML.

Hmm ...

I was just presenting at an international workshop on technical aspects of this problem, centered
around tracked changes.  Just in developing my papers and the slides, I am going to need to
spend considerable time reporting the bugs I encountered, along with a possible defect in
ODF itself that I had not appreciated before.

And I am ignoring, here, the problems of training and staffing that goes with making product
substitutions in what we term office-productivity activities.

There seems to be a lack of will and means for the adopters, and a lack of commitment among
producers to cooperate enough to provide some reliable assurance of interoperability.

Writing this has me be dispirited.  I will recover.  I have hope.

 - Dennis