openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discussion] how to stop mails being sent to multiple lists.
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:30:57 GMT
On 14 August 2014 15:15, J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14/08/14 14:02, jan i wrote:
> > hi.
> >
> > Have you also noticed that the amount of AOO mails have exploded
> > lately....sounds good you think lots of activity
> >
> > SADLY the truth is different, we have a fair amoun of real mails, but
> > something like 8 of 10 are sent to multiple ML.
> >
> > It is unwise to send the same mail to multiple lists, for a couple of
> > reasons:
> > - the discussion becomes scattered over multiple ML
> > - you force your fellow community members to read the same mail several
> > times
> > - you waste our bandwith
> >
> > If most mails are copied to most ML....then why do we have so many ML,
> one
> > solution could be to only have dev@ and let the others be an alias
> > (absolutely not one I prefer).
> >
> > How can we stop this tendency to blow up our inboxes ?

Andre ask for examples (just look in your mailbox), here are a few:
[RELEASE]: RC3 based on revision 1617669
[QA][Test Report] Weekly Status Update as of 20140811[Blog Post] Join the
OpenOffice localizationActually just look at the MLs, its hard to avoid a
mail where the sender contains several ML.

> We don't do that normally but for example my mails regarding the
> availability of the RC builds are important for at least 3 lists. And I
> know that not all people are subscribed or reading dev. But I know that
> people read (are subscribed) to QA and l10n. So how can I reach all
> interested parties? For me it's simple I send an email to all lists. The
> people who are subscribed to all lists potentially found this annoying
> but for me it is more important to reach all.
>
> If you have a good idea how to solve this, I am interested to learn.

It is very easy, 3 ways:

1) send the original mail to 1 list, and links on the other list. This is
the suggested way.
2) Send the mail to multiple lists, but use BCC, that way the replies will
not be copied to all lists
3) Send a mail to every list, instead of 1 mail which reference all lists.

Remember your mail get replies and that multiplies the traffic.

rgds
jan I.