openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <kelly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OOXML
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2014 11:40:22 GMT
On 3 Aug 2014, at 3:05 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> In line with the sketch that Peter Kelley provides below, I am personally very sympathetic
to the idea of having an internal model that can tolerate difference in format between input
and output while preserving in the output everything from the input format it can, even by
leaving markers that will be useful on future input of the produced form.  (There is a well-known
case of Microsoft Office doing this for HTML it exports, although the added information for
recovery of the MSO rendition led to many complaints about document bloat.)

On a semi-related note, there's once quite fascinating implementation of ODF I've seen called
WebODF (see http://webodf.org; the code is open source). This is an in-browser editor, and
actually works by loading the content.xml file from the ODF package into the DOM tree of the
browser, thus having it contained within the HTML content of the page. Through clever use
of CSS namespaces, it's able to achieve a pretty faithful rendering of the document using
the browser's built-in layout engine, even though the content itself is not in HTML.

From what I understand about their approach, the reason they did this I believe is as a way
to ensure that the XML structure of the ODF file is preserved exactly, which is much more
difficult to achieve if the content is converted into HTML first (as in my implementation).
Web browsers are actually very good at handling content in this way, since you can just use
the CSS property setting "display: none" to hide any elements that shouldn't be rendered on
screen, and this CSS can be kept entirely separate (or even dynamically generated by javascript)
and not part of the XML content itself. So WebODF takes advantage of the fact that a web browser
will just preserve information by default, and it works quite well.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
Founder, UX Productivity

PGP key: http://www.kellypmk.net/pgp-key