openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Missing features
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2014 06:37:29 GMT
On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 21:54:33 -0400
Joe Henderson <a2.joe.henderson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> If I had any programming ability, I would try to create two features that
> would help me immensely when I use Open Office Writer.  First, the program
> really needs a "double indent" command.  This would be to indent both the
> left and right margins equally by pressing a single button.  This would be
> repeatable.  Word has this feature; WordPerfect has this feature; Writer
> does not have this feature.  It is very important to anyone writing or
> translating scholarly documents, especially if the cannot afford to buy one
> of the paying suites.  I believe that the absence of this feature is
> costing you a significant segment of your audience.
>
> Second, it is possible to format text in small capital letters, but it is
> tedious.  I think this could also be reduced to a single button click.
>  While I am no programmer, I would think that, if you can create a
> single-click hanging indent, you should be able to create a single-click
> small caps command.  It would be nice to have this as a button that could
> be added to a toolbar.  Even putting it in a fonts box would be helpful.
>  Thank-you!
>
> Despite these two minor lacunae in the program, I enjoy using Open Office
> Writer.  Please continue the good work.
>
> Best,
> Joe  Henderson
>
> Ann Arbor, MI

These are both available as built-in styles in OpenOffice; select a paragraph and apply paragraph
style "Quotation": the paragraph selected will be indented both sides. Select some text and
apply Character Style "Place-Holder" and the text will be turned into small caps. Any tweaking
to suit personal choices can be done in the usual way styles are modified in OpenOffice.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>