openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <kelly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is it so hard to make a Java program appear native?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2014 18:12:59 GMT
On 11 Aug 2014, at 3:42 pm, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Question: To what extent is the OO UI frontend code separate from the backend editing,
file format handling, and rendering code? I'm thinking in particular here of mobile - which
demands a completely different approach to user experience design than desktop. Could OO conceivably
be adapted to mobile by replacing its UI?

> Conceivably? Probably.  But the problem is in the details.  AOO has put a lot of effort
into separating UI from model and from underlying frameworks.  For example you can use the
UNO API to access a lot of functionality without bothering with the UI.  You can run AOO headless
(without any UI), and you can run AOO on several different GUI frameworks (Windows, Mac OSX,
Linux with a mixture of X11 and Gnome/KDE).  The problem is that there are dependencies between
UI and model or framework.  Most of them not designed but "grown" because of convenience or
laziness.

> So, if you wanted to port AOO to another window system with basically the same UI as
today you would probably port VCL (the UI abstraction layer of AOO).  That would involve a
lot of cursing but it is doable (it has been done for OSX).  For a mobile device you probably
don't want the same UI but something that can be operated with larger input devices then the
typical mouse pointer (i.e. fingers).  One way to do that would be to write the GUI from scratch
and use the UNO API as a backend.   I am not sure that that is possible though.  If you drop
VCL, you don't have SFX2 with its view shells (a mix of view and controller) or slots (a mix
of remote procedure calls and value passing).  That means that a) a lot of functionality has
to be rewritten (not necessarily a bad thing when you consider the quality of the existing
implementation) and b) that that might break the UNO API (which would be bad).

> Maybe we need an experiment to see what is possible?

I'll have a look into the code to understand the architecture better and then hopefully be
able to contribute some more informed thoughts about it.

From what you've described, it sounds like there is a dependence from the OO codebase to VCL,
is that correct? If my initial understanding it is correct, it sounds like it would be possible
to port this to iOS/Android with sufficient effort, though I think that writing a from-scratch
UI would be needed, as you suggested. That is, largely to address the much smaller screen
real estate and touch controls, and the types of UI layouts that are common on phones/tablets.

The fact that OO can run in headless mode sounds promising, since the ability to access much
of the functionality without any UI implies that a totally different UI could be put in place
on top of this.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
Founder, UX Productivity