openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: OOXML
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2014 17:56:28 GMT
Below, Jan asks

  “Does a consumer normally have some sort of conformance sheet
    (like we have for communication protocols) or is it solely the user
    that painfully finds the lack of support ?”

I think this is easy to answer.  Where have you found an ODF conformance sheet for Apache
OpenOffice?  LibreOffice?

Many choices of what to implement and also deviations of the way features are implemented
are left implementation-dependent.  In ODF 1.2 there are more cases where *implementation-defined*
is a requirement.  I am not aware how any of those have come up for AOO and LibO and how the
implementation-based choices are defined, if any.

Here is a serious conformance statement I have found:
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff852100(v=office.14).aspx>

Here are some about ODF (scroll down to [MS-OODF], [MS-OODF2], and [MS-OODF3],
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg548604.aspx>.

Here’s the on-line version of the one for ODF 1.2 support:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh695327.aspx>.

It is instructive to expand the sidebar section 2 Standards Support Statements and 2.1 Normative
Variations.  (I never know what it means to say something is not supported.  I believe it
is clear that such features are not produced, but I have no idea what happens when a not-supported
provision is encountered in an input document.  All in all, I think this is, compared to other
implementations, a “glass-half-full” condition.)

In the past there was an on-line database that you could use to review compliance with ODF
feature by feature, line chapter and verse.  It provided for user comments and questions at
that level.  It was ill-maintained and I can no longer find it.  It looks like the [MS-OODFn]
documents have taken on that task.  The statements in those documents are very much what was
to be found on the database.

Cynics will point out that the EUC required Microsoft to describe all deviations in its support
of ODF.  It is unfortunate that the EUC did not consider that such statements would be important
from other sources of ODF Consumers as well.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail