openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Portuguese download broken
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 16:10:22 GMT
On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:

> [...]
>>> download wishes.
>>>
>>>  - Change the file references in the "head" part of the "index.html" in

>>> It is more effort the other way around as I would need to change every
>>> localized download webpage. Of course this is also a possible way. We
>>> just need to agree what we want.
>>>
>>>  - Delete the added "Click this temporary link to download"

>>> OK but ...
>>>
>>>  The most difficult part is that one just wants to localize the page, but
>>>>

>>> ... this is a totally different topic. ;-)
>>>
>>>  view, I would prefer to have a "createDownloadDiv(var strings)" function
>>>>

>> After spending a while looking at approach more in depth, I agree with
>> Andrea here in terms of trying to set this up as simpler js calls
>> somehow. Conceptually, what's there now (in
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/) provides the utmost in
>> flexibility, but it comes at the cost of complexity. And, since we have
>> roughly 35 native language download areas that need attention, I think
>> we need to look to simplicity to expedite the situation.
>>

> I've looked again to Andrea's idea to outsource the JS creation of the
> green box into a separate file and think now it's great with regard to
> other NL webpages. Then only one file needs to be changed and it will work
> for all - for all that have included the JS function call.
>
> So, this is already implemented even when I've not stated separatelly. ;-)
> Please check:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/boxed_download.js
>

>  I think the "tips" strings could match the actual parameter strings,
>> thus eliminating some redundancy there. I'm not sure we need "tips" for
>> the selection box items of OS etc, so maybe more eliminations here.
>>

> Of course they are not the most important part. However, I don't think it
> would reduce any complexity. Furthermore, it has an advantage for disabled
>  people and it's best pratice to describe what the user could expect.
>

>  The same approach as suggested by Andrea could be used for the blue boxes.
>>

> Sure, even this could be outsourced into the separate file. However, here
> I don't see the use case for it. The purpose is very limited and the links
> are relatively set in stone. It's very unlikely that they will change.
>
> But of course maybe you (or anybody else) can tell me better. :-)
>

>  And, I think the right side of the page -- the additional items should
>> be just be left intact as a block and let volunteers translate/change
>> this as they see fit rather than construct it with javascript.
>>

> This increases the complexity for the translators. For the colored boxes
> they have to translate just a JS file that contains all strings. But for
> the nav bar it's needed to translate the content directly in the HTML file?
> Hm.
>
>  Thoughts?
>>

> I don't want to sound too negative. Much is possible but first we need a

Maybe I wasn't prepared for a larger overall strategy like this so soon,
thinking that just initially, we were just addressing the incorrect
download problems. So, time for more l processing by me on all this. And,
initiating changes for our existing native language web areas based on this
new design. So, onward!