openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: News about the new OOXML framework.
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:20:47 GMT
Hi,

Are you aware of Apache POI?

Reads and writes most Ooxml in Java.

Regards,
Dave

Apache POI and OpenOffice PMCs

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 3, 2014, at 3:41 AM, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to give a short status update about the new OOXML framework.
>
> - Created the new module main/ooxml
>  There are not yet any makefiles that build the contents of the ooxml/ module nor link
it into the build process of OpenOffice. However, you can use e.g. Eclipse to import the Java
projects that are described below.

> - Moved the old Office Open XML wiki pages out of the way and create two new ones:
>  = "OfficeOpenXML" contains an introduction into the OOXML file format, a status overview
of the implementation progress and links to more detailed information.
>  = "OOXML" and "ooxml" (uppercase/lowercase) redirect to "OfficeOpenXML" so that there
is no excuse to not find this page.
>  = "OOXML Framework" contains more detailed information about the new framework.
>
> - Created a new Java project at ooxml/main/source/framework/SchemaParser that parses
the XML schema files that come with the ECMA-376 specification files.
>  Its purpose is to read the schema files and create a skeleton OOXML parser from it.
 This skeleton can then be filled in with code for importing certain elements of OOXML documents.

> - Created a new Java project at ooxml/main/source/framework/JavaOOXMLParser.  Its purpose
is testing and debugging of and experimenting with the schema parser.  It is not intended
to become a runtime component of OpenOffice.

> The SchemaParser is able to parse all files of the ECMA-376 specification both in the
old (1st edition of 2006) and new (4th edition of 2012) versions.  It looks like we need both
since the new one is the current standard (equivalent to the ISO standard) while the old on
is actually used.
> Not all details of the schema files are handled yet.
>
> The JavaOOXMLParser, based on parser tables created by the SchemaParser, is already able
to parse the large DOCX file of the 1st edition specification.  When pretty printed it is
about 90 MB large.  It takes the parser about 90 s to read it.  Note that the parser is not
optimized in any way (if it where then it would be optimized for readability, not for speed)
and that it writes about 650 MB of log files in the process.