openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Urgent problem!!
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 16:29:56 GMT
On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 18:01:17 +0200
Karl-Fredrik Eriksson <karlfredrik1990@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rory,
>
> This is what my document looks like when I open it using your method
> (enclosed picture).
>
> It's just "#################################" and no text...
>
> Please help me!

> > On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 16:07:13 +0200
> > Karl-Fredrik Eriksson <karlfredrik1990@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was writng my assignment that is due to this friday when an error
> > > appeard! I can't open my very important Open Office document...
> > >
> > > Loosley translated from swedish "The document 'Namlö%201.odt' has been
> > > locked for editing by:
> > > Unknown user
> > > Open the document in read-only mode or open a copy of the document for
> > > editing"
> > >
> > > I have no clue what to do but I'm freaking out!
> > > Please get back to me as soon as possible, thank you
> > >
> > > Best Regards, Karl-Fredrik
> >
> > Exit OpenOffice. Turn on viewing of hidden files (how depends on your
> > operating system) and in the directory in which your file is stored, look
> > for a filename like
> > .~lock.Namlö%201.odt#
> >
> > This file should have a size of a few hundred bytes, whereas the real
> > file, Namlö%201.odt will be much bigger - at least 6KB, possibly much more.
> > Delete the lock file, then restart OpenOffice. All should now be well.
> >
> > --
> > Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>

Your file is corrupted; you should use a backup. Did you have a system or program crash? The
left-over lock file would indicate that.

If you have not got a backup, look in the directories pointed to by /Tools /Options/ OpenOffice
/Paths : Temporary files and .../Paths : Backup. If there are files of about the correct date
and time in these directories, with arbitrary file names, rename these to .odt and see if
they open. If there is a file in the backup directory with a .bak extension, rename that to
.odt and see if it contains any of your paper.

Other than that, your can try running an undelete utility such as PhotoRec or Recuva to see
if an earlier version can be recovered.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>