openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Native Language and Localization pages on cwiki might benefit from some organization
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 04:26:20 GMT

On 24 Apr  2014, at 18:45, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, we have these four areas/page on the cwiki --
>
> Native Language Projects (under Project Planning)
> Localization Plan (under Project Planning)
> Localization Planning (top level)
> Localization Volunteers (top level)
>
> Can someone more involved with this area take a look at these and
> perhaps combine under one heading?
>
> Thanks for taking a look.
>
> --
> ————————————————————————————————————
> MzK

I had a long and tedious answer. But here's a better tack, a question.

What is the desired outcome?

(now more of the tedium)

To provide useful information for naive (or fresh) users wanting to contribute but unsure
of how to apply themselves?

Then, if we want to keep with the native-lang projects, and with their basic remit, or raison
d'être, they would be a starting place for volunteers and offer them basic info. about Apache,
localization, local promotion (as in local events, etc.), and so on. But, unless they wanted
to be (see below), they'd not be formally in charge of planning l10n work. But would any one
be? At Sun, the answer would be, Yes. And I'm sure the major stakeholders such as IBM also
have their plans. But that's not relevant here.

But let's imagine that there is a plan for l10n, a strategy of sorts, that depends really
on resources. In that case, wouldn't it be the l10n projects or project that determines the
process for QA, etc.? The native-lang would overlap, at least insofar as it could claim responsibility
for localizations. (This is what I had organized, at any rate, in OOo land.)

About the only place where I can see urgency for a kind of plan is in QA and in meeting release
dates. There would be urgency simply to sync with the global marketing deadlines. We had a
lot of problems with this in OOo days and there is no simple or even wholly satisfying solution.

louis