openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [DOWNLOAD][PROPOSAL] How to download another version than offered in the green box?
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 19:39:02 GMT
Am 04/28/2014 10:38 AM, schrieb J├╝rgen Schmidt:
> On 4/28/14 12:29 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> while enjoying the Easter time I made some progress about a long-term
>>> problem:
>>>
>>> - Downloading the offered file via the green box is fast and easy
>>> - Downloading a different file than the offered is not
>>>
>>> Via the big table on the "other.html" is now easy to maintain for us but
>>> has no improvement for the user as it is large and complex.
>>>
>>> Therefore I've thought of making another offer directly on the main
>>> download webpage:
>>>
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_droplist.html
>>>
>>> Please don't look too close to look&  feel - sure the grey color is not
>>> the best one ;-) - this can and will be improved for sure.
>>>
>>> For now please have a look for the functionality via the drop-down boxes
>>> and the then created links below them.
>>>
>>> What do you think? is this a direction we can/should go in general?
>>>

>> Thanks. I do like this idea. It's very straightforward.  I think this might
>> be better integrated if this new area could be placed directly  under the
>> "found" version in the green box. Maybe with some slightly smaller styling.
>>
>> And, looking at what else we have going on here, and the information in the
>> lower lighter green box, I would suggest we move "Release Notes" as the top
>> item under "Documentation"
>>
>> and move "Source Code and SDK", "Portable and USB ports" and Legacy
>> versions to "Additional Resources". (well some of these items are already
>> there really but maybe need to be reworded.)
>>
>> This way the top darker green box would display the version found for the
>> user along with the new drop down and the lighter box underneath would only
>> contain signature and hashes info.
>
> I like the idea in general as well and Kay provided some good ideas
> already to improve the structure.
>
> We should use the drop down boxes to for older releases as well. Means a
> further drop down box where the user can select the version, default is
> always the latest and greatest.

Sounds good. A more comfortable selector for archived versions.

But then we need a strong commitment to keep the download structure and
naming unique - to avoid to script exceptions just because versions are
named and placed slightly different. ;-)

> For example for 4.1 we can drop the 32 bit version for Mac to avoid
> confusion.
>
> The link 'Get all platforms, languages, language packs' can be
> potentially removed completely if we allow the selection of the product.

Absolutely, should be the main target for this new UI.

Marcus