openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Softpedia: Apache OpenOffice Downloaded More than 100 Million Times, but Not on Linux
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:11:52 GMT
On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:47:19 -0700
Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:33 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>

> > http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apache-OpenOffice-Downloaded-More-than-100-Million-Times-But-Not-on-Linux-438293.shtml
> >
> > I'd like to double check my logic here.
> >
> > What fraction of our downloads would you expect Linux to be?
> >

> The fact that Linux is about 2% of our downloads with Linux itself at about
> 2% of the desktop market share should tell anyone that  our downloads are
> right in line with the reality of the desktop market looking at just the
> overall results and NOT uniqueness.
>

> > A niche open source application might see different results than one
> > that had mainstream adoption.  That is the expectation.   If your
> > appeal is mainly to the open source "insiders" then you will see a
> > higher proportion of Linux downloads.  If your user base reflects the
> > overall desktop market, then your downloads will reflect this as well.
> >
> > We've seen, since Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0,  that Linux users comprise
> > 1.8% of our downloads.
> >
> > The latest Netcraft survey of Desktop OS usage puts Linux as 1.49%. [1]
> >
> > So, our Linux desktop usage is slightly more than we'd expect, from a
> > widespread adoption perspective, but only slightly.
> >

> This is correct.
>

> > So what am I missing here?  Why would anyone expect anything other
> > than the obvious trend, that the most-user operating systems would
> > also be most used by OpenOffice users?
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> You're not missing anything. This article makes me want to scream!  Maybe
> we should contact the author regarding his math and logic. The reality is
> even some Linux users with access to LibreOffice in their repositories
> still would prefer and do install Apache OpenOffice.
>

> > [1] http://www.netmarketshare.com/

I remind you that many Linux distros, if asked for OpenOffice, silently substitute LibreOffice.
Some time ago there was discussion on this ML about trying to prevent such a silent substitution,
but I think (memory may be faulty) that it needed special compilations for each of the linux
repros.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>