openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: Beta downloads and feedback and a proposed way to the final
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2014 12:50:02 GMT
On 13/03/2014 J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> For now I haven't seen really serious problems which of course is good
> but maybe I have overseen something. Anyway if we don't get serious
> issues until March 30th I plan to prepare and provide the first final RC
> on the 31th. The vote will start immediately after the upload ...

The plan looks good. I would complement it with two innovations, that
would stay in place from now to the final release date:

1) Link to the latest snapshots from the openoffice.org website. We've
been too conservative with this, to the point that even our community
members cannot find them easily. Details are being discussed on the
Infra list, but it is acceptable that the main download page has a link
to an intermediate page that contains all suitable disclaimers and links
to daily/snapshot builds, specifying that they are to be used by active
community members for testing.

2) (an idea from another PMC member) Hold 2-3 informal meetings on
Google Hangout or similar platform, where main QA volunteers, developers
and volunteers involved in the release process can review the status
together, to make sure we are all on the same page for the upcoming
release. Even with a small group this would be nice to have, it allows a
more effective communication. No decisions would be taken, but the dev
list would be informed of what was discussed. Probably the best moment
is in the European afternoon, so for example Wednesday or Thursday at
4PM for the next 2-3 weeks. Could it work?

Regards,
   Andrea.