openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anything we can do about premature redistribution?
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2014 23:09:58 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> Or maybe a disclaimer in the voting thread email?

Andrew's comments show clearly that these editors do not care to be
careful or factual, or even read those disclaimers, unfortunately.

We can be successful only if we manage to block their downloads. They
link to our binaries hosted on SourceForge (which is fine). Just
thinking loud, but if it was possible (on the Sourceforge side) to deny
all download requests that do not come from the openoffice.org or the
sourceforge.net domains, then the project would effectively be in
control. The embargo could be lifted just after the release.

Sure, sites could still copy all binaries being voted upon and offer
them locally, but this would require a more significant effort. on their
side.

Regards,
   Andrea.