openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Ask OpenOffice #2 Top Questions: Now for the answers....
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 02:18:46 GMT

On Feb 27, 2014, at 2:28 PM, Armin Le Grand wrote:

> On 27.02.2014 15:00, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>> -----------------------------------
>>>
>>> 2)  A series of questions on proposed features and how we decide on
>>> new features, including:
>>>
>>> a) Is it possible to include a 'Track Change' feature in OpenOffice
>>> like the one in MS Word?
>>>
>>> b) When will OpenOffice be able to support saving in (.doc) for
>>> Microsoft Word 2012-2014?
>>>
>>> c) Does Open Office plan to add capability to print out marginal
>>> comments/notes on the document page where they appear instead of as a
>>> separate list at the end of the document?"
>>>
>>> d) Will OpenOffice users be able to import a "PDF" file, update it,
>>> and export the updated file?
>>>

>>> e) How does you decide what features to put into OpenOffice?
>>>
>>> f) What is the average time it takes you to fix a bug? add a new feature?
>>>
>>> Rob:  I thought we'd lump these all together and give an in-depth
>>> response about how features and bug fixes are prioritized in a
>>> volunteer-led open source project at Apache.
>>
>> The PDF question seems like a much larger animal than some of the others to me. Probably
on par with b) -- on a larger scale maybe.

>> It may need a larger/longer explanation on its own.
>
> I see two reasons we do not have that 'roundtrip':
>
> (1) The PDF exporter needs to work Page-oriented since PDF is. That is the main reason
the import was implemented originally for draw format, not for Writer. When importing to Writer,
the Page breaks would not be guaranteed. Also the imported text is not 'floating' text in
the classical sense of a Writer paragraph - this was AFAIK not possible with the import method
chosen. Thus it would not behave well in Writer when you klick somewhere in such a imported
document and start writing.

> (2) There are enough (even free) programs that add 'overlay' to PDF, e.g. for signing
documents, so this is not needed to be done by AOO, too.

I am giving two presentations at Apachecon. One of these is about Osmosis a tool my team at
work developed that converts PDFs to editable PowerPoint and HTML5 files. It uses Apache PDFBox
and Apache POI. My hope is that this can become a software grant, currently preparing to jump
through the necessary corporate hoops.

Regards,
Dave