openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Ask OpenOffice #2 Top Questions: Now for the answers....
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:41:20 GMT
Hi,

On 27.02.2014 23:54, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 02/27/2014 11:00 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>

>> On 02/27/2014 10:02 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> Time to wrap this up. I've gone through the 275 questions from 430
>>> users and picked out the top ones. I dropped the ones that repeated
>>> questions we already answered in our last iteration of this. I also
>>> combined questions where there were duplicates or repetitions. In
>>> some cases I reworded questions for clarity.
>>>
>>> Here's the "top 10", with some partial responses on a few of them.
>>> I'll need your help to craft responses for all of them.
>>>

>>> -----------------------------------
>>>
>>> 1) How can it be Microsoft is a platinum sponsor of Apache when
>>> OpenOffice is competing with MS Office?
>>>

>>> Rob: This is an odd question to ask us, but I suppose we can explain
>>> how the ASF is a foundation that supports many (100+) open source
>>> projects and that a sponsor of AOO does not necessarily participate or
>>> endorse every project at Apache. But again, this is an odd question
>>> for us. Maybe we can pass it off to Ross Gardler for a better answer?
>
> Marcus: Or any other Apache member as I don't see us alone to provide an
> answer.
>
>>> -----------------------------------
>>>
>>> 2) A series of questions on proposed features and how we decide on
>>> new features, including:
>>>
>>> a) Is it possible to include a 'Track Change' feature in OpenOffice
>>> like the one in MS Word?
>
> Marcus: Looks like the user has not yet found the "Changes" function in
> the Edit menu.

Please keep in mind that the 'Change Tracking' in OpenOffice Writer does
not support as much as the one in Microsoft Word does.

>>> b) When will OpenOffice be able to support saving in (.doc) for
>>> Microsoft Word 2012-2014?
>
> Marcus: Depends on how the progress of the OSBA code is going. Maybe
> Oliver or Juergen can tell more?

The OSBA code does not contain any general framework for the export to
the Microsoft Word *.docx file format.

>>> c) Does Open Office plan to add capability to print out marginal
>>> comments/notes on the document page where they appear instead of as a
>>> separate list at the end of the document?"
>
> Marcus: When you define a page as Letter or DIN A4, then comments are
> shown outside of this as there is still space on the monitor. However, I
> don't know how to do the same when printing on paper. ;-)

We need to provide some glue and some extra paper downloadable on our
website ;-)

jokes aside: there are existing solutions - just look around.

Best regards, Oliver.