openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time traveling files
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:28:32 GMT
Hagar Delest wrote:
> We see such reports in the forum from time to time (and I experienced
> that once in the past): a file saved and then the day after you see that
> the file reverted to a previous version.

Rob had an interesting theory about this. One starts editing a DOCX
file, works on it, saves (more or less inadvertently) as ODT since we
don't support writing DOCX currently, then at some moment there is a
power failure, the ODT file is unluckily unrecoverable/damaged and all
the user can find is yesterday's DOCX file. This does not mean to
diminish the issue, but it provides a plausible explanation for some
(not all) of the reports.

> OP raises a clever possibility IMHO: could the first backup file be
> somehow put aside and not updated at each manual save and then after a
> crash (or not, maybe an OS problem) replace the last saved version?
> Reverting it to an old version?

I couldn't reproduce anything like this: from a quick test, it seems
that the backup copy in .openoffice/backup is updated when I save the
file again. But in theory your scenario could still happen if for some
reason at a certain point the user disables the "Save backup copy" option.

Regards,
   Andrea.