openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <rbirc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How can we promote Crowdfunding Project relatet to AOO?
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:31:19 GMT
Hi Don

Am 28.02.2014 um 15:46 schrieb Donald Whytock:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Raphael Bircher <rbircher@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi at all
>>
>> We allready talked about crowdfunding and generaly agree, that this will
>> be a good idea. I will start at the next time a p'roject at a crowdfunding
>> platform to rise money for a LTS Version for 4.0.2. So we can still support
>> Mac OS X 10.6 downward. I plane to back port security fixes and really
>> important bug fixes. The costs will be about $2000. This just for
>> information.
>>
>> The big question is, how we handle such projects? My proposal:
>>
>> - Create a site with open / in programming / finished crowd funding
>> projects.
>> - Make a blog about it if the organizer whish that.
>> Other Ideas?
>>

> These crowdfunding activities would not be official acts of AOO or Apache,
> right?  Since (my understanding is) Apache doesn't support targeted
> donations or paid development?

exactly

> If they're outside/independent acts, wouldn't they be, for all practical
> purposes, a subclass of third-party support vendors?

You can see it like this, yes. But mainly for the start, it's important too have some help.
It is a taff job anyway, to get money for AOO development. But this is also important for
the ecosystem. And caring about the ecosystem is a very important job at Apache.

The founding etc. is ofcourse outside ASF. The works flows maybe back to the project.

Greetings Raphael