openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: First look at www.openoffice.org accesibility
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2014 23:17:47 GMT

On Jan 14, 2014, at 3:03 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 01/14/2014 06:53 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> That means now the screen reader reads the title and converts it as voice
>>> output, right?
>>>

>> Yes, that's my understanding.  When we view the page this is clear
>> from the visual context:  a text input next to a button labeled
>> "search" is for the search query.  But the context is not always clear
>> with a screen reader so we need to make it explicit.

>>> Simply insert a h1 headline, like:
>>>
>>> <h1>How can OpenOffice help you?</h1>
>>>
>>> However, if there is no need for one, then a hidden h1 could help to solve
>>> the confusion but also keep the current webpage conent and style.
>>>
>>> The "hidden" attribute seems to look like the best option but maybe not as
>>> it seems not to work in MS IE. Could someone test this?
>>>
>>> <h1 hidden>How can OpenOffice help you</h1>
>>>

>> The<h1>  would be the parent of all the<h2>'s, including "Recent blog
>> posts".  So not just the left column.  A hidden<h1>  might stop the
>> warning message, but I'm to sure it really fixes the problem.  But
>> this might be the lesser of the problems.  At least we're not
>> inconsistent in our headers, e.g., having an<h2>  under an<h3>  or
>> something like that.
>>

>>> Or maybe just an empty h1 if this doesn't destroy the layout, like:
>>>
>>> <h1></h1>
>
> A h1 tag would create a headline with CSS blue box styling - like you can see here:
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html
>
> Even with an empty h1 tag the blue box would be visible. So, if we decide to insert a
h1 tag, then with text.

You could turn off style with a tag in the h1.

>>> I don't think so. Otherwise we would give up the link in the headline or the
>>> text. And the headline and text should have different text formatting,
>>> right?
>>>
>>> Could this help to get enough differentiation?
>>>

>>> <h2><a href="/support/">I need help with my OpenOffice</a></h2>
>>> it.</a></p>
>>>

>> That might silence the warning message, but the problem is still
>> there.  The issue is someone navigating by keyboard will see every
>> link twice in a row.  So it is a matter of excess noise on the page.
>>
>> I wonder if it would be better to have the image and the<h2>  be the
>> live links, and not link the smaller long description?  Then we might
>> be able to put the image and the text all in one<a>?
>
> This seems to help and also produces no HTML error (verified via W3C HTML validator):

> However, the text is now displayed in light-grey and doesn't change anymore when moving
the mouse over it (compare with the other texts). So, some further CSS hacks are necessary.
Up to now I haven't found the root cause.

css needs to follow order so h2.a and p.a styles need to be copied into a.h2 and a.p styles
- this may be tedious. That depends on the cascade.

>>> That's easy: insert a language ID. ;-)
>>>
>>> Currently:
>>>
>>> New:
>>>

>> Yup.  Since we support multiple languages we'd need to do this on a
>> per-page basis, which is a pain.   Some NL pages use a customized NL
>> template which might help, but not all do this.
>
> OK, let me correct myself: ;-)
>
> The solution is easy. But excuting it is complex.
>
> What about this?
> When doing this is for the main website (www.openoffice.org/) without any localized sub-pages
we would cover the very most page hits. And could then analyze which sub-webpages are visited
often, too, to change them area by area.

This can be done by updating the ssi setup

Add to all ssi.mdtext files a language property

Here is /fr/ssi.mdtext
language: fr
doctype: /doctype.html
brand:  /fr/brand.html
footer: /footer.html
topnav: /fr/topnav.html
home:           home

Edit template/skeleton.html

Change <html> to <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="{{ ssi.headers.language
}}" xml:lang=""{{ ssi.headers.language }}"">

Rebuild ooo-site.

Warning this is a "sledgehammer" change. All pages are changed.

Any other skeleton changes for accessibility?

Regards,
Dave