openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reopening the Vietnamese Forum
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2013 22:59:25 GMT
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Hagar Delest <hagar.delest@laposte.net>wrote:

> Le 16/12/2013 23:15, Kay Schenk a écrit :
>
>  Aside from captcha (I'm assuming this is used for registration?), do we
>> have any other spam tools in place for the Forums?
>>

> The only other counter measure is the first post moderation.
> And it is very effective. On the English board, there is absolutely no
> spam. The only remaining is the signature or the profile link but they are
> spotted very quickly and they don't appear until you look at the members
> list.
>
> So I don't think we need further tools.
> Except for moderators perhaps, something like a nuke button that bans the
> user and delete signature and profile web link automatically. But we live
> without. The rate (on the EN forum) is below 3.5 spam account per day.
>
> Hagar

OK, thanks. The reason why I asked is I saw that there ARE spam mods
available for phpBB and, not knowing our setup, I didn't know if we were
using any of them, or if they would help.

Like anything of that nature, they might help  if configured appropriately.

One even claims to "do" moderation. But, of course, some attention would
likely be necessary.

In this particular case, we might think about closing the "vi" forum and
deleting all accounts of a certain age if these seem to be the cause of
problems, then reopening again with only newer accounts available and see
what happens.