openoffice-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time to think about a "Language Update" release?
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2013 03:48:35 GMT
On Nov 11, 2013 6:37 AM, "J├╝rgen Schmidt" <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/10/13 8:06 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Ricardo Berlasso
> > <rgb.mldc@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> 2013/11/3 Keith N. McKenna <keith.mckenna@comcast.net>
> >>
> > Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> >>>>> Comparing http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
> >>>>> and https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/ I see that
> >>>>> we have: - Two unreleased languages that are now 100%
> >>>>> translated (Bulgarian and Danish) - One language with only
> >>>>> about 1000 words left and activity in the last week
> >>>>> (Norwegian Bokmal) - Three languages with about 4000 words
> >>>>> left and activity in the last week (Thai, Uighur, Hebrew;
> >>>>> Indonesian and Icelandic are in the same group, but less
> >>>>> active)
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Would it make sense to schedule a "language update" 4.0.1
> >>>>> release for late November? I mean something like: announce
> >>>>> a translation deadline on the l10n list, produce SDF files
> >>>>> for the languages that reach 100% (which of course already
> >>>>> include Bulgarian and Danish, and hopefully some of the
> >>>>> other languages listed above), building only those
> >>>>> languages and releasing an updated source package and
> >>>>> binaries for those languages.
> >>>>>
> > Yes I believe that it would make sense and would add to our
> > reputation for actively supporting native languages.
> >
> >>>
> >>> Indeed. +1 from my part for a language update to 4.0.1.
> >>>
> >>> Regards, Ricardo
> >>>
> >
> >> +1
> >
> >> I also think this would be a good idea...hopefully our Release
> >> Manager will comment soon.
>
> In general I am always a fan of having further languages available as
> soon as possible. But we are still in the situation that our builds
> and releases take some time. We have no Mac build bot and we don't
> have Linux systems that can build against our currently existing
> baseline.

I know we don't have a Mac buildbot but what is meant by the Linux comment.
The last I saw 32-bit nightly was OK. 64-bit success seems intermittent. Is
this what you mean?

All this should be taken into account and even a language
> update requires some time and we should think careful if we want to do
> it for 2 languages only.
>
> I we can complete at least 5 languages until end of Nov. we can make
> language update only. Means we will release only this new languages on
> the AOO401 branch + a new source release. The same as we did for 3.4.1
> where we released 12 new languages.
>
> And this is only a time limiting factor because many other things are
> to do and we already started thinking about a 4.1 release.
>
> But I am open and in the end I won't be the limiting element here even
> if I ave to do major parts of such a release
>
> Juergen
>
>
>
> >
> >
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> > It would make more snse
> >>>>> So this would work like we did for 3.4.1 when we added new
> >>>>> languages. Why not call it 4.0.2? Well, we already
> >>>>> discussed it, but the main reasons would be: for the
> >>>>> languages already released in 4.0.1, 4.0.2 would be
> >>>>> identical (example: 4.0.1 in French would be identical to
> >>>>> 4.0.2 in French) since all commits in the meantime have
> >>>>> been done to trunk; a new 4.0.2 release takes a much
> >>>>> larger effort than a 4.0.1 language update, so it is harder
> >>>>> to find volunteers and this is worth doing only if we have
> >>>>> some important bugfixes for 4.0.1 to include (and I don't
> >>>>> see any at the moment).
> >>>>>
> > It would make more sense for it to be 4.0.1 unless there were
> > critical bug fixes that would justify a 4.0.2. The only potential
> > glitch that I see is handling the release notes. I have a couple of
> > ideas that I will lay out in a separate thread if we decide to go
> > ahead with a language only release.
> >
> > Regards Keith
> >>>>> Regards, Andrea.
> >
> >>>
> >>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>>
> >>>
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org
> >>> For additional commands, e-mail:
> >>> dev-help@openoffice.apache.org
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@openoffice.apache.org
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message