openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: draft blog post: Apache OpenOffice 4.1 to Bring Enhanced Accessibility Support
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 23:42:59 GMT
Am 11/13/2013 09:12 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Donald Whytock<dwhytock@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> This will be something to post after Steve merges the code intro the
>>> trunk, which I understand will be soon:
>>>
>>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=apache_openoffice_4_1_to
>>>
>>> Does anyone have anything else to add?  A quote from an assistive
>>> technology vendor or accessibility expert would be good.
>>>

>>   Looks good in general.  How does "vision-impaired" compare to "blind or
>> low-sight"?
>>

> Honestly, I'm not absolutely certain what the preferred term is these
> days.  I certainly don't want to cause offense by using the wrong
> words.  But I did see the term "blind or low-sight" on a website
> discussing assistive technologies.  If anyone (Stuart, maybe?) knows
> better, let me know.

I had a remarkable experience when I wrote something about sound in
StarOffice (yes, years ago) and how deaf people could work with it. The
way of how to explain it was wrong with the wording I used, I had to
correct it in in a policitcal correct way and give an apology to the
group who wrote a mail to point me to the error.

Therefore I would say it's better to spend more time than you think
first to use the correct wordings.

I'm sure Steve can lend a helping hand here.

Marcus