openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 80 million downloads
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 21:16:10 GMT
Hi
On 30-Nov-2013, at 16:10, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 16:06:01 -0500
> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> It would be best if the silent mapping of OpenOffice to LibreOffice on many linux distros
could be stopped. Use a common linux distro, try to install OpenOffice using the package manager,
and what does one get - LibreOffice.

Perhaps this could be a key part of messaging? That for Linux distros, choice should be possible,
and the user should be able to choose freely what he or she wants; that it seemingly violates
the spirit of free and open source software to bind users to a set of software and to make
actual choice nearly impossible for regular users; and to then claim, deceptively, that the
user has choice (if that is what is going on; I would need to check) is just sad.

Louis