openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] End-of-Life for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 23:44:15 GMT
Am 10/31/2013 11:35 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Andrea Pescetti<pescetti@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On 29/10/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> And here is a draft of the landing page we'd send users to who have an
>>> older version of OOo if there is not an AOO version in their language:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/eol-nl.html
>>

>> This will be very useful to attract volunteers. A few questions/remarks:
>>
>> 1) Can we avoid that all languages are notified at the same time? For
>> example, Danish and another language have been at 100% for about one month
>> and I hope we can release them in November. While Arabic is a language where
>> we can use more volunteers right now.
>>

> We can control it.  But we have Arabic in 3.4.1 so they would not get
> this notification.   But there are around 11 other languages that had
> full releases in 3.3.0 that are not supported in 4.0.1.   There are
> more that were only supported via langpack's in 3.3.0, but our update
> notifications are only for full version updates.
>

>> 2) Can the title be changed so that it doesn't look an obituary to
>> non-native speakers? Like "Please upgrade to OpenOffice 4.0.1 - or help
>> translating it into your language". Or anything that cannot be understood as
>> "OpenOffice is dead".
>>

> "End of Life" is a common industry term, but it is fine to make the
> title more friendly.

Right, EOL is an widely used and understood term. Therefore we should
not change things that we believe that could be misunderstood by a few
people. Up to today I don't know of a single case were this led to a
misunderstanding.

So, I don't see a real need to change the title as it is clear that not
the software is meant in general but a special part of it only.

Marcus