openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: File needed, Kid for 4.0.1 (trunk)
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 09:35:30 GMT
On 07.10.2013 10:52, Herbert Duerr wrote:
> On 05.10.2013 23:36, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> On 28/09/2013 janI wrote:
>>> I have btw changed xx_XX to xx-XX in branch l10n40, so we dont have
>>> a mix
>>> of _ and -.
>
> A good idea, thanks!
>
>> main/i18npool/source/localedata/data consistently uses underscores. On
>> the other hand, the old "extras/l10n/source" consistently uses dashes...
>> so I don't know which one is best here. If there's a way to adopt a
>> common convention, very good.
>
> Following the RFC3066 [1] convention should be best. It uses the
> hyphen to separate the language tag from the subtag. Of course for
> naming variables in the source code the underscore counterpart is a
> good fallback.

I agree that we should use dashes instead of underscores where
possible.  As far as I know the reason that we use underscores lies in
the makefiles.  There are rules that "factor out" the language part from
a target name.  This is done by removing a suffix of the target name, ie
split openoffice_en_US into openoffice and en_US. As you can not use
dashes in target names, underscores are used instead.
Therefore we can not get rid of underscores in all places.

-Andre