openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schmidt <joe...@j-m-schmidt.de>
Subject Re: The crux with 2 open standards for more or less the same thing
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 21:11:00 GMT
> From: Hagar Delest [mailto:hagar.delest@laposte.net]

> I still believe that MS will *never* agree with a real
> standard. That would be the end of their lock-in policy and
> the loss of their market shares.

Yes, that's a problem, and it is a primarily a 'political' problem.

But there are also some objective technical problems that prevent a completely
neutral standard.
e.g. the document:
http://publica.fraunhofer.de/documents/N-104763.html

this gives some insights.

(for the experts among us: yes, I know about the conditions under which the
document originated)

> BTW, there are 2 flavors of OOXML. Which one should be
> considered?

I think in what Jürgen appeals is about the standard that was based on that of the
OSBA project, see:
http://www.osb-alliance.de/working-groups/projekte/ooxml-filter/projektergebnisse-
ooxml-filter/

Greetings,