openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Usability: dictionary updates and profile migration
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:39:50 GMT
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>>
>>> Not seeing comments, I'll publish the updated dictionary in a couple of
>>> days. In the end this is not breaking anything, it just produces a Fatal
>>> Error (that is actually not fatal, and solved by simply restarting
>>> OpenOffice) during profile migration. ...
>>
>> I don't know if it is related, but we're starting to get a few reports
>> from confused users on Facebook.  It sounds like they are getting
>> dictionary upgrade notifications but are then lost when trying to
>> download/install the update.   It is coming down as a ZIP file rather
>> than an OXT.
>

> This is a known problem with Internet Explorer (unrelated to this specific
> extension): at times, IE tries to be smart and "fixes" the filename
> extension into ZIP rather than OXT as you correctly observed. I don't have
> more precise information, but this has happened for years and the common
> advice given on lists is "use another browser" (obviously, capable users can
> rename the file as OXT).

If I.E. is suggesting a ZIP content type then this means they've
resorted to content sniffing and found the ZIP magic number in the
file header.   Usually a browser only resorts to this if every other
attempt to determine the content type has failed, e.g., HTTP response
headers, file name, etc.   This is something that should be fixable.

-Rob