openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Font galleries facelift
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:28:52 GMT
On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Ricardo Berlasso wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to install fonts as extensions?
>

> This is the key question. I suspect that the answer is "no", or at least I
> don't see any "font extensions" searching http://extensions.openoffice.org .
> But, aside from this and from the particular case of fonts (which indeed as
> you write are better seen as "system" properties rather than "OpenOffice"
> properties), I agree with the idea of providing additional packages as
> extensions when possible.

It might make sense to do this is several stages:

1.  Font embedding support in ODF documents.

2. Special font embedding support in ODF templates, where user is
prompted whether they want to install the font, or copy it as an
embedding.

Or, alternatively, option for use to extract/install an embedded font
from any document.

3. Then we can distribute fonts via templates.

-Rob