openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Synonym Issue
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:07:09 GMT
On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Trenor <trenorrapkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> Just thought you guys needed to know that I found a problem with synonym
> function. The Open Office definition for "secular" comes up as "profane"
> "commoner".
> Secular actually means non religious. It appears that the person who
> programmed your synonyms was a religious person trying to make a statement.
> It would be nice if this could be fixed. Thanks.

With AOO 4.0, with the en-US dictionaries, I see these synonyms
listed:  laic, lay, profane, layman, layperson, commoner, common man.

"Secular" has several meanings and all of the above are correct,
according to the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition.  Not every
meaning is applicable to every use, but none of these are irrelevant.
In any case I don't think anyone is trying to make a statement here,
at least not in the dictionary.

Regards,

-Rob