openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cannot paste a web image into a presentation?
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:38:41 GMT
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:41 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 07.03.2012 09:16, lou ql wrote:
>>
>> On 6 March 2012 18:35, Oliver-Rainer
>> Wittmann<orwittmann@googlemail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Currently, I have problems reproducing your problem.
>>>
>>> Can you please be a little bit more specific?
>>> How do you copy the image?
>>> Are you using a browser? Which one?
>>>
>>> I have done the following using latest snapshot build for Windows, rev.
>>> 1296433:
>>> - open the website in Firefox
>>> - open context menu for the image
>>> - choose "Copy Image"
>>> - open an empty presentation document
>>> - hit keys Ctrl-V
>>> -->  bitmap is pasted into the presentation.
>>> (Unfortunately, its background is black. I am experiencing the same in MS
>>> Paint. Thus, I assume that the copy process of Firefox does not
>>> recognized
>>> a possible existing Alpha channel for the transparency.)
>>>
>>> My 2nd try was:
>>> - open the website in Firefox
>>> - make a selection of the image using the mouse
>>> - hit keys Ctrl-C
>>> - open an empty presentation document
>>> - hit keys Ctrl-V
>>> -->  nothing happens (the same happens in OOo 3.3). Reason for this is
>>> that
>>> the presentation document can not interpret the HTML in the clipboard.
>>>
>>> My 3rd try was:
>>> - open the website in Firefox
>>> - open context menu for the image
>>> - choose "Copy Image Location"
>>> - open an empty presentation document
>>> - menu Insert - Picture - From file
>>> - paste image URL into "File name" field
>>> - check checkbox "Link"
>>> - hit button "Open"
>>> -->  image is inserted as linked image. It takes some time to download
>>> the
>>> image from the internet - I also had to allow the soffice.bin process to
>>> access the internet.
>>>

>> I'm doing with the second way, it works in document and spreadsheet, also
>> works in MS office PPT.
>>

> Ok.
> Thus, this way is currently not supported by Impress - our presentation
> component.
> Thus, from my point of view this issue would be a request for enhancement.
>
> Note: Before pasting you can observe via menu edit - paste special what the
> corresponding application can interpret from the different available formats
> provided by the clipboard.

I think we have a regression here.

Steps:

1. Load Impress, Load Browser to http://www.openoffice.org

2. Right click on the AOO logo in upper left corner (a PNG file) and
Copy/Image (in Firefox) or Copy (in Internet Explorer)

3. In Impress, Edit Paste the image.    (If you do Edit/Paste Special
the format is called "bitmap")

Observed Behavior:

1. In AOO 3.4.1 the image pastes in correct in I.E. and Firefox on Windows

2. In AOO 4.0.0 the image pastes in as a solid black box in Firefox,
but pastes in correctly in I.E.  The same version of Firefox (23.0.1)
was used in both tests.

IMHO this is a serious issue, since it makes it very hard to reuse
graphics from the web.  The workaround is not very good -- save image
from web to a file and then import it into Impress.

Regards,

-Rob