openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should download pages *require* Javascript?
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 00:20:58 GMT
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 08/19/2013 09:51 PM, schrieb sebb:
>
>> On 19 August 2013 20:27, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:

>>> I think this is the key insight.  There are actually three cases to
>>> consider:
>>>
>>> 1) Java script disabled
>>>
>>> 2) Javascript is supported, but not working with our page
>>>
>>> 3) Javascript working fine.
>>>
>>> Some of the more recent reports are about #2.  These are older
>>> versions of Internet Explorer, e.g., I.E. 6.  A<noscript>  block will
>>> not help in this case.
>>

>> But if it is possible to detect the broken Javascript without
>> crashing, then it would be possible to treat the browser as if it did
>> not have Javascript.
>

> Right, has anybody an idea how to detect such broken JS engines?
>

>From this test it looks like the main issue is Internet Explorer before I.E. 8:

http://browsershots.org/http://www.openoffice.org/download/

One approach is to see if you can code around that error and get it to
work correctly on older I.E. installs.

Another approach is to use one of these techniques to detect older
I.E. and then fall back to a non-script page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537509%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

-Rob