openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Updating BZ versions for next releases
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 15:56:32 GMT
On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> On 5 August 2013 17:38, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to update BZ to reflect the next release of AOO.
>>
>> Version are tracked in three different fields:
>>
>> Version, which currently allows the values "AOO 4.0.0" and "AOO410-dev"
>>
>> Target Milestone, which currently allows the values "AOO 4.0", "AOO
>> 4.1" and "AOO PleaseHelp"
>>
>> Last Confirmation on, which currently allows the values "AOO 3.4.0",
>> "AOO 3.4.1", and "AOO 4.0.0".
>>
>> I'd like to clean this up a little, as follows:
>>
>> 1) It is reasonable for someone to report a bug using 3.4.0, 3.4.1 or
>> 4.0.0.  None of these versions are "end of life" so they should be
>> allowed for new bug reports.
>>
>> 2) I don't see the purpose of "AOO PleaseHelp" as a milestone version.
>>  Are we overloading meaning in this field?  If we really need track
>> issues that need help we should define a keyword for this.  So I'm
>> inclined to delete this milestone version number.
>>
>> 3) I'd also like to simplify the versions across the board to be just
>> "3.4.1", "4.0.0", etc., without the "AOO" prefix.
>>
>> 4) For Last Confirmation On, I'd like to hide values except for 4.0.
>> We should not be confirming bugs without testing on the most recent
>> version.  Sure, new bugs can set "Version" to 3.4.0 or 3.4.1, but
>> confirmation should occur on 4.0.
>>
> Since 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 (I actually thought it was only 3.4.1) are live
> version, which we support, all bugs reported there must also be tested
> there.
>
> I agree they should also be tested in 4.0, but not only in 4.0.
>
> So we would actually need a double confirmation, 3.4.x and 4.0 ?

It is a relatively new field, a custom field we added to BZ after
3.4.1.  The intent was to go through the old defect reports, the ones
that were reported against 3.3.0 and earlier, and retest them with
3.4.1 to see if they still existed.  In many cases the bugs no longer
existed.  So the "Last Confirmed On" field was there to record the
most-recent version of AOO that exhibited the bug.

We don't currently have a structured way of tracking a list of all
versions where the bug exists.  In general I don't think the QA
volunteers are going back and retesting bugs with earlier versions.
It is more the opposite -- retesting old bugs with the most recent
version of AOO.